Monday, August 1, 2011

Michigan Monday: Wonders if there are any left over commits from the BBQ?

We now know that Chris Wormely thought the hot dogs and burgers at the Big House BBQ were too good to pass up and committed to the Wolverines on Sunday.   Michigan fans have wanted Chris to commit for some time now, so it was a good feeling to have him in this class. 
The big question is who is next?  Michigan has 5 spots left in this class and still with some needs.   The largest outstanding need is DT.  The coaches keep saying they will only take 1, I believe they will take 2.   Those two are Ondre Pipkins and Danny O'Brien.  

Ondre's father lives in Michigan (Ondre lives in Missouri) and from what I have heard Ondre is still in the Great Lake State and might make it back to Ann Arbor for another visit real soon.   Sunday was his first visit and some insiders that spoke to him feel like he might have been a bit over whelmed with the day and was just trying to take everything in.   The Michigan fans were hoping for a BBQ commit from Ondre which didn't happen.  Will it happen this week?  We have to wait and see.   I would like Ondre to do what Kalis did, visit take a few days to think about it and discuss with his family.   Come back to Ann Arbor spend some 1 on 1 time with the coaches and then make his decision.

Danny O is his nickname and he had another good visit to A2 for the BBQ.  I'm going to think about my comfort level this week and where I'm at with everything. I have a top six of Michigan, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, Michigan State, and Iowa right now. I'm going to cut that down to three and then take official visits to those schools. I know Michigan said they're only taking one defensive tackle, but if they want to take two I will still consider them if someone commits before me.

I believe if both Ondre and Danny want to become Wolverines, the coaches will take both.

WR is the other need in this class and there wasn't much movement on that recruitment on Sunday with Cincinnati Madris not making it to the BBQ.   St. Louis WR Jehu Chesson visited Ann Arbor this week and so did Iowa WR Amara Darboh.  Michigan seems to be in pretty good shape with all these guys and it will be a race to who commits first.   If I had to predict a winner in this race, I think the quickest commit could come from Monty Madris.

Bri'onte Dunn enjoyed his visit up for the BBQ but I think there still needs to be some thinking for him to leave Columbus.  Having the NCAA hit them hard this Fall after their meeting in August would be huge.

Michigan also made up some ground with  some 2013 recruits at the BBQ including; OL Steve Elmer, LB Jonny Reschke, RB Ty Isaac, DE Wyatt Shallman and athlete RB/DB Dymonte Thomas.

Fall camp opens in a week, so the coaches really only have this week to spend quality time with the recruits.  After that some recruits might want to attend practice to see what how the coaches really coach.  

With only 5 spots left, I would assume many players feel like they need to make a decision sooner rather then later.

  • BTW:  Jordan Diamond is visiting Iowa today.