Friday, August 5, 2011

Michigan Friday: Coaches Say No Thanks To a 5 Star Players Visit?

With only 5 spots left in this class, the Michigan coaches can target the players they want.   Twitter was "hot" yesterday with the information that 5 star DT Tommy Schutt (4 stars to Rivals) was ready to take a visit to Ann Arbor.   Tommy is rated the top player in Illinois and is 6'3 300 pounds.  His offer list includes Florida, ND, Penn State, Wisconsin, Miami and many others.

Tommy was also interested in ND but they filled their spot with Sheldon Day yesterday.  Then Twitter got "hot" again with the news that the Michigan coaches told him they didn't have any spots at DT left and it didn't make sense for him to visit. 

So why would the Michigan coaches turn down a visit from Schutt (assuming they did turn it down)?
  • It could mean they really are only going to take 1 DT which they have told both Pipkins and O'Brien. 
  • They feel confident they will get Pipkins or O'Brien.
  • One is a silent commit (they both have said they are not).
It was clear from Pipkins that he still wants to take some more time to make a decision and Danny is getting a ton of calls asking if he is going to commit soon.  He wanted to make it clear he is not going to commit soon and is going to take 3 official visits.

My best guess is that they feel confident they will get either Pipkins or O'Brien.  I hope they know something I don't, becuase I don't see too much of a down side for Tommy taking a visit. 

  • Jordan Diamond visited Mississippi this weekend and had a better time then he expected.

  • Sione Houma is now a 3 star FB to Scouts.

  • TomVH reports that Armani Reeves will put Michigan in his top 3:  I'm going to put [Michigan] in the top three. Just because I like them so much that I was willing to look into what they have to offer. Pretty much everything I said before that they have academics, the whole thing with Michigan. I haven't really thought about what's next or if I'll visit any time soon yet. I don't know when I'm going to make my final decision either, this kind of changes things a little bit.

  • With Fairley out for awhile with a broken foot, the Lions signed Greg Banks from Michigan.