Friday, June 10, 2011

Michigan Gets Back to Back Commitments Today

Is Brady Hoke building a Ark in Ann Arbor?  Because he seems to be getting recruits 2 by 2.  

Today is no exception as the Michigan Wolverines get two commitments from Erik Magnuson and Tom Strobel.  Both guys are rated 4 stars by Rivals and Scouts. 

Erik is the real deal when it comes to offensive tackles and rated the 34th player in the country by Rivals.   He is just outside their 5 star ranking.  He has had a ton of great press at the camps this Spring.  JC Shurburtt from 24/7 said this:  Magnuson has an excellent frame, good feet and plays with a nasty streak. He was dominant in one-on-ones and looked good athletically moving around in position drills. Combine what he showed Sunday with what he shows on film and there’s a good chance that Magnuson could move up our rankings when they are updated again.

Erik is 6'6 and 275 pounds and had a number of big time offers mostly from PAC 10 schools (all of them except USC), Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Miami of Florida.   Erik has seemed to have loved Michigan from the start and committed the first day of his visit to Ann Arbor.   Erik will join his future Wolverine teammates in the Army All American game this winter and has some thoughts about enrolling early at U of M.

This commitment gives Michigan a highly ranked offensive tackle in this class with the need for at least one more:  Memo to Jordan Diamond! 

Next up is Tom Strobel a DE from Mentor, Ohio and he will be joining Erik in Texas at the Army All American game as well.  Tom is a 6'6 and 245 pounds (all Michigan prospects now have to be 6'6) and had a Midwest offer list that includes the entire Big Ten, many top Big East schools, and Stanford. 

The recruiting gurus agree and pretty much say the same thing.  He is really 6'6 and could use a few pounds but has a great frame and will be a really good player in a couple of years.    Tom was thought to be an OSU lock but things have changed in C-Bus and Tom headed North.

"I have been very blessed with the opportunity to visit and meet with many elite colleges, but I genuinely feel that Michigan will provide me with both the best academic and athletic college experience possible," Strobel said. "Like most people in Ohio, I was raised with a biased opinion against Michigan. If you would have asked me a year ago if I would go to Michigan, I would have said 'no way'. However, it occurred to me that there was no justification for my prejudice, besides the fact that it was Michigan.



“Despite my apprehension, Michigan still stood out above the rest. When I went there, I fell in love with the place. I am confident that I have made the right decision for my future, and I look forward to beginning my college career as a Wolverine. I think the new coaching staff is great and the program is heading in the right direction. I really think things are going to turn around.”

That quote came from a 17 year old.  Label me impressed!  Michigan seems pretty stocked at DE right now and they still seem very interested in Chris Wormley.   So I'm guessing it's down to Chris and a couple DT's.
 
Erik and Tom are the 15th and 16th commitments to the Wolverines for the 2012 class and we are sitting here on June 10th.   Which means Michigan can be pretty selective for the remaining 6 or 7 spots remaining.