Friday, June 10, 2011

Michigan Friday: For Whom The Bellomy Tolls

In early January, Michigan's depth at QB took a hit when Tate Forcier was asked to leave the program.   That left only 2 scholarship QB's on the roster, Denard and Devin. 

Fast forward to June and there has been a lot of excitement about the 2013 commitment of Michigan QB Shane Morris and the 2012 recruitments of Gunner Kiel and Zeke Pike (before he verballed to Auburn).   The forgotten man in all this QB hype is Michigan's one and only QB in the 2011 class, Russell Bellomy.

Russell is a 6'3 185 QB out of Texas that decided to make a late switch from the Boilermakers to the Wolverines before signing day.  Some have titled this move a "Roy Roundtree".

“I have no doubt in my mind that I made the right decision (in decommitting to Michigan), Bellomy told GoBlueWolverine. “It’s always hard doing that to people you’ve been committed to for almost half a year; but it’s a business and I have no regrets now. I’ll shake their hand on the field and hopefully they’ll shake mine back. I just feel 100% sure that I made the right decision and I cannot wait to take advantage of it. It seems to be working out pretty good for him Roundtree (laughing).”


Russell is a talented QB that could use a couple more pounds and some time in the weight room but did have a successful junior and senior year in high school.   During his junior season he threw for 1,546 yards, 13 TD's and 3 picks.  He also ran for 434 more yards and 6 more TD's.  He had a comparable senior year with 1,564 yards through the air, 804 on the ground and 24 total touchdowns (15 passing - 9 running).


Russell expects to compete for a spot behind Denard and Devin when camp opens.  “They told me I’m looking at competing for third string, and that might be a traveling redshirt job, and that it may turn into a regular third string job maybe get some playing time. I’m up for anything, nothing’s promised and I love to compete. If I get some playing time I’ll make the most of it, and if I don’t I’ll make the most of it when I do get some playing time.”

Looks like most of the 2011 class will be on campus in the next two weeks or so.  Russell will be rooming with fellow freshman Desmond Morgan. 

Other News:
  • More Traffic Trouble For Darryl Stonum:  Darryl was sentenced this morning to two years probation, one year of a suspended jail term for his second DUI arrest.   Earlier this morning he was ticketed for driving with a suspended license.   Which might be the last straw in his Michigan Football career.   Since he is a senior let him get his degree and move on with his life.  

  • Tonight Michigan's ND "throw back" Jerseys will be reveled.  If your not into surprises and want to wonder out loud: what is Adidas thinking? Look below. BTW:  I think those should be re-titled "Throw Aways".   I have seen a lot of photos from past Michigan teams, I don't recall ever seeing anything close to the pajamas below.   



HT: Mgoblog